Thursday 26 March 2020

COVID-19, Thursday, March 26


Dear Church Family,

Earlier this week we had a council meeting.  Yesterday I had my profession of faith class, and our youth group met as well.  It all sounds like a typical week at church doesn’t it.  Except, all these meetings happened via zoom, a video conferencing tool.

I’ve heard a few newscasters swapping out the term “social distancing” for “physical distancing.”  That’s a good correction.  In this era of social media, there’s no reason to limit our connections over email and Instagram and twitter…. (ya, you know the list), and even the good ol’ telephone.

We are social beings, and even the most introverted introvert was made for community.
·       *As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)
·       *In Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. (Romans 12:5)
·       *My command is this: Love each other as I have love you. Greater love has no one that this: to lay down one’s life one’s friends. (Today’s chapter from the Gospel of John, if you are following our reading guide, 15:12,13).

I could go on all day, but you get the picture.  And God himself, wants to be in community with us:  “I will walk among you and be your God” (Leviticus 26:12).

The students, with whom I met yesterday, said that they weren’t particularly frightened.  Bored, yes, but not scared.  One of them said that if feels as though Someone has their back.  I put a capital S on “Someone,” because I think they know that they belong, body and soul, to our faithful Saviour Jesus Christ, and he has our back.

Keep your physical distance today, but don’t slip into social distancing.  Make at least one social contact today, ok?
Pastor Rita


No comments:

Post a Comment