Thursday 2 April 2020

COVID-19, April 2, 2020


Dear Church Family,

While my daytime activities seem sorta normal, I’m feeling the biggest change in my life in the evenings. I used to be out for meetings and visits and gatherings as often as four nights a week, which could be exhausting at times. But now I’m home every night.  They say, “be careful what you wish for!”  While the circumstances are far from ideal, I do enjoy being home in the evening.

If I’m not in a Zoom meeting, or playing online euchre with our kids, Gerald and I are watching The Crown on Netflix.  During each episode, we’ll google the historicity of what is being depicted – the great smog of London in 1952, the Suez Crisis in 1956, and last night it was the 1966 coal disaster in Aberfan where 116 children died.

During last night’s episode, Prince Philip’s mother asks him how his faith is doing.  “Dormant,” he replies. Princess Alice says that faith is the best gift a parent can give a child.  And then she says this:  “Faith helps. No, it doesn’t help – it’s everything.”

Faith is everything. Hebrews 11, that great faith chapter, says that “Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”  How we need such faith today.  With confidence in our God, “let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith” (Hebrews 12:1,2).

Pastor Rita


No comments:

Post a Comment