Sunday 5 April 2020

COVID-19 April 5, 2020


Dear Church Family,

I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Someone sent me an email message this week that reminded me of that book by Dr. Seuss – Green Eggs and Ham. The email talked about preaching in places other than church.  And I thought, I do not like preaching to an empty church. I do not like preaching without having music. I do not like preaching in a house. And I suppose I wouldn’t much care for preaching with a mouse.

But the email message was a reminder that Jesus preached from a boat, on a hillside, in the streets, in a garden, by the seaside, at the temple, in a house, and on a cross. 

That’s a pretty good model to follow.  Paul instructs his protégé, Timothy, to “Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season…(II Timothy 4:2).

It’s time to try some new things, like preaching from home, and doing church at home. And while we long for the day when we can gather again, let’s make the best of things.  Who knows, we may even like it.

You do not like them.
So you say.
Try them! Try them!
And you may.
Try them and you may, I say.
…Say, I like green eggs and ham!
I do, I like them, Sam-I-am.
And I would eat them in a boat.
And I would eat them with a goat…
I will eat them here and there.
Say, I will eat them anywhere!

Pastor Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment